I'm already starting to slip into that whole "not updating" habit that plagued my last blog. But the truth is I've had several topics in my head that I've wanted to write about the past week--I just didn't actually have the time to sit down and type it out. Or when I did actually sit down in front of the computer to write it out, I found that getting the words out onto my keyboard to be difficult. So for now I suppose I'll post a quick update and then update tomorrow.
I started my new job on Monday and so far I really, really like it. I work for a medical billing and consulting firm on Long Island and my current job is to audit the E&M codes for the ER. Meaning that when someone goes to the ER and the doctor treats them, the doctor selects a code for which to bill the patient/insurance a certain amount of money based on the work they claim they did. My job is to look at the doctor's documentation and see if it meets the requirements set by the Americal Medical Association in the CPT manual. If it does, great! The doctor is doing fine. If it doesn't match, I have to document why it doesn't and whether he charged too much or too little for his service. Due to confidentiality I of course can't talk about any specific doctors or patients or cases, but I will say that many of the doctors I'm auditing are WAY off on their CPTs. When I am finished, I hand the stack to my supervisor who meets with the doctors every quarter to go over what they did wrong/right and to help explain to them how to do it properly. According to her, some doctors really don't care because there's no incentive--they're salaried by the hospital so it doesn't matter how much or how little work they do. Something to keep in mind next time you go to the ER and get the bill a month later.
My co-workers are all pretty nice. One of my co-workers is actually my mother. When her boss heard that I was taking the medical coding/billing courses he asked her for my resume and he hired me. I am so thankful for that because one of my best friends who took the courses with me is still having difficulty finding a job in this field. It's not that the jobs aren't out there--it's just that they all want CPC's with years of experience--she and I are only CPC-A's or "Apprentice Coders." Which is understandable in a way; I mean, I know I would want to hire someone with the most experience I could because I knew they would already have a grasp of appropriate coding and billing protocols. But at the same time, they may also have a lot of bad habits.
I'm a night owl so it has been a bit difficult for me to transition to working 8a-4p and since I'm used to working part-time, I've also had to adjust to working every day. I decided to keep my other job for the time being, stepping down to per diem from part time. So for now I work 6 days a week. Sundays are usually my day off. I could use the extra money for the time being (I still owe my dad money to fix his car door...) and it'll allow me to be able to save more. I've developed some pretty bad financial habits over the past year or so and I'm not really in a position to be able to afford that. Also, I'd really like to pay off my student loan much sooner than is currently projected (15+ years??? blegh). Also, also, I'd really to get a newer car. It doesn't have to be brand new (though the 2014 Chargers are looking mighty fine...), but since my current vehicle was made in 1997, I would really like it if I could have one that was made at least within the past 10 years.
I was going to write about something a little more personal that's been bothering me the past 24 hours, but I realized that it's not worth it. It's really not. Because it ended almost a year ago and the issue doesn't deserve a single thought more.
Tonight I am going with my very good friend Corey to the Barclays Center in Brooklyn to see WWE Monday Night RAW. Tonight is the fallout show from a PPV aired last night and we are SO excited to be attending! My next post I'm sure will be ALL about this. :)
Fortunately and unfortunately, it is about who you know in an industry.
ReplyDelete