Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Upwards & Onwards

Starting weight: 188.0 lbs.
Goal weight: ~140.0 lbs.
Current weight: Unknown.


Last Friday I got an e-mail stating that I was officially in the pre-employment process for US Customs & Border Protection. I am incredibly excited beyond words. This is the opportunity I have been dreaming of for years. What sucks is there's no real official timetable (at least not one that they make known to their candidates). I have to go through an interview, a drug test, two physical fitness exams, and a physical. If I succeed, I'll be sent down to Georgia for 8-10 months for academy training.

The physical fitness exams are stressing me out hardcore. I have taken several of them for various police departments and I have always failed. I've never really been in shape (unless you count "round" as a shape) before. I never focused on physical fitness--it was never important to me. Physical fitness wasn't going to get me into college. It wasn't going to get me a scholarship. My brain was. My writing skills were. Well, now here I am a few years later and my physical fitness is vital to me becoming employed in my desired career field.

Over the weekend I started completely changing my diet and exercise habits. It hasn't been as bad as I thought it was going to be. I do find myself resisting some major cravings for sweets and I noticed I'm one of those people who eat because they have nothing else to do. Luckily, I have some pretty great friends who have been helping me with my exercise routines.

My goal isn't to lose weight though I do know that it is necessary for me to pass and will improve my overall health. I'm hoping that my first fitness exam isn't for at least another 3 - 4 months. And if it's supposed to be before that, I pray that I can delay it (take a trip out of the country?).


1 comment: