A few people have been texting me asking how my procedure was and how recovery's going so I'd figure I'd just write a quick little update.
Friday I left work early with my mom and got to the Dr.'s office. The procedure itself was REALLY fast--maybe 15 minutes tops. I was awake the whole time, no Xanax or anything. They gave me a little teddy bear to hold onto. I almost decapitated it because I was terrified that if I moved slightly, that the laser would mess up my eyes!
The worst part for me was at the beginning when they put this suction cup thing on the eye so they can create the flap in the cornea. My vision blacked out during that and I felt a lot of pressure. The laser part wasn't bad but it was a little freaky since it crackles, and I was able to smell my eye burning(?) afterwards. You focus on a blinking red light and then when it powers up it's like there's lightning circling around the blinking light.
At my post-op appointment yesterday they had me read the Snellen chart and I have 20/20! I am SO freaking excited! What's been hard for me is the fact that I'm so used to automatically holding papers and things close to my face in order to read them, so now when I do it, it's blurry. I have to totally reverse 20 years of poor-vision habits. I drove last night to NJ for a wrestling show with my friends (I didn't realize it was the same weekend as my surgery). It was a little harrowing at times but I was able to drive straight and stuff. My eyes just felt tired after a while.
For the next week I have to put two types of eye drops in every four hours and sleep with this flexible goggle thing and wear sunglasses when I go outside. One of my eyedrops I can't stand--its a suspension and it's white and I can taste it in my mouth and the back of my throat after I administer it. :(
I think I'm still in shock at not having to put glasses on my face or put in contact lenses to see. My eyes are dry but they don't feel too bad--kinda like you have a pair of contacts in for too long. Now I need to figure out what the hell to do with all my glasses and contact supplies! :-P
Congratulations on a successful eye surgery procedure! Yay for perfect vision!
ReplyDelete