I'll never forget my first lesson with her freshman year of high school. I was the only cellist in my grade and was so nervous to have to play in front of all of the upper classmen. I was TERRIBLE. I hadn't had a cello to practice on at home in about 2 years because they are so expensive to rent, let alone purchase. She stopped me after I played about 8 measures of a song we were performing in orchestra, and said "Thats enough. See me after the lesson please." After everyone else left the room, I walked up to her a nervous wreck. "You don't have a cello at home to practice on, do you?" I shook my head no. "Any particular reason why not? You know if you're going to be in this orchestra you have to practice at home." "They're really expensive." She nodded and sent me on my way. The next day, she called me into the music office before orchestra rehearsal and she had a beautiful cello waiting for me. I used that instrument for the next 6 years of my life.
Another fun story from 9th grade:
Two of my friends growing up, Rachel and Stasia, were identical twin sisters. Every April Fool's Day, they played a prank where they would go to each others' classes for the day, seeing if anyone would notice. Rachel was in band, Stasia was in orchestra and the rehearsals were at the same time in the rooms next door to each other. So 9th period (the last class of the day) comes, and "Stasia" sits in her seat and begins "warming up." We start off rehearsal by doing a scale or two. After that, Mrs. Wilson goes, "Hey 'Stasia,' go get your sister. She's late for class." Rachel, completely stunned goes, "How did you know??" Mrs. Wilson replies, "I have triplet boys. You can't fool me."
She was a no-nonsense, tough but fair lady from Oklahoma. Mrs. Wilson was like a second mother to me when I was in school and she always looked out for me. She believed in me when I didn't believe in myself. She always went above and beyond for her students and you could tell she really loved teaching. Mrs. Wilson was always there to lift me up when I got picked on, and bring me back to Earth when I daydreamed a little too much. She saw me for who I was on the inside and who I would grow up to be. She was the reason I wanted to study music in college and become a music teacher. And when I chose not to pursue that career path further, she inspired me to never give up and to choose another career where I can have a positive impact in people's lives. So really, she's also the reason why I chose law enforcement.
I feel angry at myself because she was there for me for so long and I wasn't there for her during her time of need. But I know she knew the impact she had on my life and she helped shape me into the woman I am today.
Rest in peace, Felicia Wilson. I love you and will always think of you. <3
UNDER the harvest moon,
When the soft silver
Drips shimmering
Over the garden nights,
Death, the gray mocker,
Comes and whispers to you
As a beautiful friend
Who remembers.
When the soft silver
Drips shimmering
Over the garden nights,
Death, the gray mocker,
Comes and whispers to you
As a beautiful friend
Who remembers.
Under the summer roses
When the flagrant crimson
Lurks in the dusk
Of the wild red leaves,
Love, with little hands,
Comes and touches you
With a thousand memories,
And asks you
Beautiful, unanswerable questions.
When the flagrant crimson
Lurks in the dusk
Of the wild red leaves,
Love, with little hands,
Comes and touches you
With a thousand memories,
And asks you
Beautiful, unanswerable questions.

No comments:
Post a Comment