It’s finally October. It’s finally
autumn.
My days are
pretty much the same every day—wake up, go to work, come home, nap,
boxing/kickboxing training, shower, sleep. With certain days having less boxing
and more sleeping in them, and then of course there’s Auxiliary Patrols on
Thursdays. It’s not a bad life. It’s pretty good actually. I would like to see
my friends more often but we’re all grown-ups now and work so I guess that’s
how life goes.
Yesterday was
when the Affordable Care Act (ACA or “ObamaCare”) went into effective—well parts
of it. The “Marketplace” for all 50 states opened up… and then promptly crashed
due to server overload. These plans go into effect Jan. 1, 2014. Pretty much
everyone at my job hates the ACA. Or at least aspects of it. I can’t tell if it’s
just because they’re Republican, or they don’t like change, or if ACA really
isn’t that great of a law. I think some aspects of it are good. While mandating
everyone to have health insurance maybe sounds a bit harsh and crazy, it
actually makes sense. Too often, people who don’t have health insurance go to
the emergency room either because they are in serious need of care (i.e.: acute
appendicitis, cholecystitis, ectopic pregnancy), or because they simply don’t
have a PCP due to no insurance.
By law (and I
guess Hippocratic oath), ER’s cannot turn a person away. They must treat them.
But I would say about 85% of the ER visits I code and bill for and audit are
people who have vague “Abdominal pain & Nausea” type symptoms who get prescribed
Antibiotics or some cold medicine and they’re on their way. They are wasting
valuable time and resources. ER’s are the money pits of hospitals. They cost
the most to operate since they’re 24/7, must accommodate ambulances, have a
certain number of staff on at all times, and deal with walk-ins. They go
through supplies like nobody’s business. And people often don’t pay their bills
at all or only pay a fraction of the cost. Forcing this people to have some
sort of minimum amount of health insurance would make it so that hospitals don’t
close, especially in low-income neighborhoods because they’d actually be able
to afford to stay open. From what I’ve seen, there are several low-cost
insurance plans (I’ve been calculating to see if I can afford my own benefits
or if it’s more cost-effective to stay on my mother’s plan), and if you meet a
certain income level, or some other sort of criteria, you actually get
approximately half of your premium cost back. As far as I can tell they’re not
getting rid of Medicare or Medicaid and their associated programs so there are
always those as well.
From what I’ve
heard, some people have received notification that their insurance premiums
have increased—keep in mind that all these people have insurance through their
employer, so it doesn’t say anything about independent health plans such as
COBRA. We haven’t received any notification from our employer yet about our
insurance or the plans our company will make available. I think a January 1st
implementation date is a bit ambitious, especially since many hospitals,
providers, and companies such as mine who credential, code, bill, and audit,
have next to no information. But we’ll see.
Government
shutdown means my recent application to Customs & Border Protection won’t
be reviewed for a long time. Which is OK by me because now I have more time to
prepare for the physical fitness exam. ^_^ I’ve been trying to not let myself
get overwhelmed at boxing & kickboxing training. I felt a little embarrassed
because I totally cried in the locker room Monday night. One of the other girls
told me not to get upset and that everyone started out where I am and that
Christian, my trainer, only pushes me because he sees a lot of potential in me
and he wants me to do well. It made me feel a lot better. Now I don’t dread
going. Much. I honestly just dread the whole “being really sweaty then driving
home, showering, and being in pain the next day” part. But I know all this hard
work is going to pay off. “I never said it would be easy, just that it would be
worth it.”
In other news, I think I'm juuuust about halfway saved up for LASIK! I can't wait! I'm going to hold off on getting it until after February because supposedly at academy, they spray us with mace.
No comments:
Post a Comment